Microsoft Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is a winning combination.
This course will teach you how to reap the reporting and analysis benefits of the comprehensive set of Business Intelligence (BI) tools in Microsoft Power BI along with your Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (D365FO).
After the course, you will understand how to set-up and use Power BI in connection with Microsoft Dynamics 365FO – being standard content BI or building your own.
Microsoft Power BI is a suite of business analytics tools that let you analyze data and share insights. By using Power BI tools, you can explore data and quickly create rich reports and dashboards. You and your colleagues can then use the reports interactively on many devices. Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations uses Power BI for data exploration.
During this course Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations we detail the prerequisites, set-up, configuration, as well as the day-to-day operation and reporting with Power BI and D365FO.
The training is focused on making you able to reap the huge benefits in the daily use of Power BI and D365FO in combination, as well as how to set-up and configure.
You will learn, how Power BI allows any user, including management, to get from a quick overview to detailed views of all aspects of the enterprise. This involves the understanding of some of the off-the-shelf Power BI packages for D365FO, as well as an insight into how to build and operate your own.
During this 2-day class, you will work hands-on with our practice labs with guidelines for Microsoft Power BI as well as for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
This 2-day course Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is for anyone who wants to explore D365FO data, and quickly create rich interactive reports and dashboards on many devices.
Typical participant profiles:
Anyone interested in reporting and/or analysis in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
It is essential to have participated in our course Introduction to Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations or in other ways has obtained equivalent knowledge.
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel, BI tools, and databases, as well as reporting and analysis, is not required, but it does help towards understanding the business scenarios introduced.
Prior knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics Power BI is not required but would help the learning intake.
Day 1 of Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations
Introduction and overview
- A business scenario demo
- Fundamental principles
Visualize all your data in one place
- Get to know the different tools of the Power BI universe and learn how to use them
- Understand Power BI Desktop and its components
Use natural language in queries
- Use the Query Editor to connect Power BI to various source types, work on the Data Model and understand the difference between those two steps
- Work in the different views of the Data Model
- Create calculated columns and measures
- Build relationships between different tables
- Create a report with different interactive visualization types
Stop searching – start exploring using drag and drop type analysis
- Use Power BI service to create dashboards and to share and publish your results
- Access your results from multiple devices using Power BI Mobile
Set-up and configuration of Power BI
- Getting data
- Overview Power BI desktop
- Data sources
- Query editors
- Modeling your data
- Data relationships
- Calculated measures and tables
- Power BI reports
- Data visualizations tools and features
- Exploring data
- Power BI service features
- Create and share dashboards
- Q&A suggestions
- Power BI and Excel
- Using Excel data in Power BI
- Publishing and sharing
- Security and users groups
- Publishing Power BI data features
- Introduction to Day 2
- Dynamics 365 FO calculation types, functions
Day 2 of Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations
Get started using Microsoft Power BI with Microsoft Dynamics 365
Set-up, configure and make Power BI work in D365
Link to Power BI account
Use existing workspaces in D365FO
Embed Power BI visualizations on personal dashboards
Use Power BI Desktop to connect directly to your Microsoft Dynamics 365 instance
Use Power BI with Microsoft Dynamics 365 (on-premises)
D365FO and Power BI content packs
Customize Dynamics 365 Power BI content packs
Power BI content packs available for D365FO
(as of version 7.3, platform 12)
- Actual vs budget Power BI content
- Benefits Power BI content
- Cash overview Power BI content
- CFO overview Power BI content
- Compensation Power BI content
- Cost accounting analysis Power BI content
- Credit and collections management Power BI content
- Employee development Power BI content
- Financial performance Power BI content
- Fixed asset management Power BI content
- Learning Power BI content
- Practice manager Power BI content
- Production performance Power BI content
- Purchase spend analysis Power BI content
- Recruiting Power BI content
- Sales and profitability performance Power BI content
- Vendor payments Power BI content
- Warehouse performance Power BI content
- Workforce metrics Power BI content
Please note that time will probably not allow for more than just a few hints regarding the available content.
Wrap-up, Q&A and what is next
Price for this course includes training manuals, training environment, food and beverages during the training.
We will provide our own developed and updated AXcademy training materials and/or training materials from Microsoft.
Training manuals are provided printed and/or as files.
Each student will receive copies to annotate and keep.
During the training, each student will have access to their personal copy of Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations training environment (with standard Contoso demo data) free of charge.
After the training, you could continue to have access to your personal training environment – including your labs. A nominal fee might apply for this optional service.
To ensure the best possible learning environment, a world-class instructor with loads of real-life technical experience in D365FO, D365FOE, D365O, as well as AX 7 and previous versions of AX is in place, and the number of participants is limited to 10 students.
Food and beverages
Food and beverages are provided during the training hours.
•Light breakfast before start
•Lunch of high quality and variety
•Water, coffee/tea, soft drinks, fruits throughout the day.
(Actual offerings and vary depending on the actual training location. For special food requirements, please ask well in advance of the class start date)
Any certification exams
Microsoft Power BI and Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations
This course includes all or part of the topics of below listed Microsoft Courses